Money can’t buy happiness but money can definitely beg your name for billionaires list. Mukesh Ambani, Shiv Nadar, Lakshmi Mittal, we all are familiar with these names and assume them to be on the billionaire list.
Here you go with the list of top 10 billionaire of India. I will start from the 10 and then will eventually disclose the richest person of India:
10. Desh Bandhu Gupta:
Desh Bandhu Gupta is the founder and chairman of Lupin Limited which is a multinational pharmaceutical Company. He was born on 1938 in Mumbai. He started his career as an associate professor at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan. He founded Lupin Limited in 1968.
He also started the Lupin Human Welfare & Research Foundation (LHWRF) in October 1988 with objective of creating a replicable and evolving model for sustainable rural development for uplifting families living below the poverty line in rural India.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $5.5billion, making him the 233rd richest person in the world.
- Trustee of the Global Vipassana Foundation
- Chairman of ISKCON, Juhu Temple.
- Received a Lifetime Achievement Award during the Pharma Leadership Summit 2009.
- Received the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2011 – Visionary Leader award.
9. Sunil Bharti Mittal:
Sunil Bharti Mittal is an Indian entrepreneur, philanthropist, and Founder and Chairman of Bharti Enterprises. He was born on 23rd October, 1957 in Ludhiana, Punjab. He first went to the Wynberg Allen School in Mussoorie, and then attended Scindia School at Gwalior and graduated in 1976 from Panjab University, Chandigarh, with a Bachelor of Arts and Science from prestigious Arya College, Ludhiana.
He started his business in 1976 at the age of 18. His business was to make crankshafts for local bicycle manufacturers. In 1995, Bharti Cellular Limited (BCL) was formed to offer cellular services under the brand name AirTel.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $5.7billion, making him the 219th richest person in the world.
- Padma Bhushan, Government of India, 2007
- Transforming India Leader, NDTV Business Leader Awards
- GSMA Chairman's Award
- Asia Businessman of the Year, Fortune Magazine, 2006
- Telecom Person of the Year, Voice & Data, 2006
- CEO of the year, Frost and Sullivan Asia Pacific ICT awards, 2006
- Best Asian Telecom CEO, Telecom Asia Awards, 2005
- Best C.E.O, India, Institutional Investor, 2005
- Business Leader Of The Year, Economic Times, 2005
- Philanthropist of the Year Award, The Asian Awards, 2010
- INSEAD Business Leader Award, 2011
- Honoris Causa Doctorate of Sciences (D.Sc.) Degree, Amity University Gurgaon, 2016
8. Kumar Mangalam Birla:
Kumar Mangalam Birla is an Indian Industrialist and the Chairman of the Aditya Birla Group. He was born on 14th June 1967 in Rajasthan. He did his B.Com degree from University of Bombay, Chartered Accountancy from ICAI and an MBA from London Business School, London.
Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla took over as Chairman of Aditya Birla Group in 1995, at the age of 28.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $6.1billion, making him the 196th richest person in the world.
- Received CEO of the Year Award 2016 from International Advertising Association’s (IAA)
- Received Global Leadership Award from US India Business Council (USIBC) 2014
- Received Business Leader Award in 2003 and 2013 from Economic Times
- Received Entrepreneur of the Year 2012
- Received the title “Most Inspiring Leader” during NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2012
- Received Business Leader for Taking India Abroad 2012 from CNBCTV18 IBLA
- CNN-IBN “Indian of the Year Award 2010”
- JRD Tata “Leadership Award 2008”
- NDTV’s “Global Indian Leader of the Year 2007”
7. Uday Kotak:
Uday Kotak is an Indian banker, executive vice chairman and managing director of Kotak Mahindra Bank. He was born on 15th March 1959 in Mumbai. He did his Bachelor's Degree from Sydenham College and completed his post graduation in management studies in 1982 from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies.
In 1982, He started Kotak Capital Management Finance Ltd. (which later became Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd.)
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $6.3 billion, making him the 184th richest person in the world.
- Member of the Government of India’s High Level Committee on Financing Infrastructure.
- Member of the Primary Market Advisory Committee of the Securities & Exchange Board of India
- Member of the Board of Governors of the National Institute of Securities Markets and ICRIER
- Member of the Mahindra United World College of India
- Member of National Council of CII
- Member of the strategic board which advises the national law firm, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas.
- Sole Indian Financier to feature in Money Masters: The Most Powerful People in The Financial World, by Forbes magazine, USA (May 2016)
- Received the ‘AIMA-JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award’ for the year 2015 at AIMA’s 2nd National Leadership Conclave
- Received ‘Best Transformational Leader Award 2015’ by Asian Centre for Corporate Governance & Sustainability in 2016
- Recognized as ‘ET Business Leader of the Year’ at ET Awards 2015 for Corporate Excellence
- Recognized as ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ at Forbes India Leadership Awards 2015
- Recognized as 'Entrepreneur of the Decade' by Bombay Management Association (BMA) in 2015
- Recognized as Banker of the Year 2014 by Business world
- Won Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year 2014 Award
- Won Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 Award (India)
- Received a special award for his contribution in the growth of India’s equity markets at India’s Best Market Analyst Awards 2012 by Zee Business in 2012
- Felicitated with ‘Financial Leadership Award’ at NDTV Profit's Business Leadership Awards 2011 in 2012
- Recognized as CNBC Asia’s Business Leader of the Year in 2008
- Recognized as CNBC TV18’s ‘Innovator of the Year award’ in 2006
- Euromoney listed him amongst the financial leaders of the 21st Century
- Recognized as ‘Global Leader for tomorrow’ by World Economic Forum’s annual met at Davos in 1996.
6. Lakshmi Mittal:
Lakshmi Niwas Mittal is the chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steelmaking company. He was born on 15th June, 1950 in Sadulpur, Rajasthan.
He studied at Shri Daulatram Nopany Vidyalaya from 1957 to 1964 and graduated from St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, with a B.Com degree in first class from the University of Calcutta. In 1976, due to the curb of steel production by the Indian government, the 26-year-old Mittal opened his first steel factory PT Ispat Indo in Sidoarjo, East Java, Indonesia.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $8.4 billion, making him the 135th richest person in the world.
- Received Steel Maker of the Year in 1996 by New Steel
- Received 8th honorary Willy Korf Steel Vision Award in 2004 by American Metal Market and World Steel Dynamics
- Received Entrepreneur of the Year in 2004 by Wall Street Journal
- Received European Businessman of the Year in 2004 by Forbes
- Fellowship in 2007 by King's College London
- Forbes Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008 by Forbes
5. Cyrus Poonawalla:
Cyrus S. Poonawalla is the chairman of Poonawalla Group, which includes Serum Institute of India, the Indian biotech company that manufactures pediatric vaccines. He was born in the year of 1945 in Pune.
He did his studies from The Bishop's School in Pune, and graduated from Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce, University of Pune, in 1966.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $8.5 billion, making him the 133rd richest person in the world.
- Received the Padma Shri for his contribution to the field of medicine, by Government of India in 2005
4. Shiv Nadar:
Shiv Nadar is the Founder and Chairman of HCL and the Shiv Nadar Foundation. He was born on 14th July, 1945 in Moolaipozhi Village, Tuticorin District, Tamil Nadu. He studied at Town Higher Secondary School, Kumbakonam and received a pre-university degree in the American College, Madurai and a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
He began his career at Walchand group's Cooper Engineering in Pune in 1967. Nadar and his partners( Ajai Chowdhry , Arjun Malhotra, Subhash Arora, Yogesh Vaidya, S. Raman, Mahendra Pratap and DS Puri) started their entrepreneurship with the Microcomp, a company which focused on selling teledigital calculators in the Indian market and then founded the HCL in 1976.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $11 billion, making him the 88th richest person in the world.
- Founded SSN College of Engineering in Chennai
- Received the Padma Bhushan for his contribution to the IT industry, by Government of India in 2008.
- Received the honorary doctorate degree (D Sc) for his contributions in promoting software technology by Madras University in 2007
- Recognized as E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year 2007 (Services).
- Recognized as Dataquest IT Man of the year in 1995.
- Received CNBC Business Excellence Award
- Received an Honorary Fellowship of All India Management Association in 2006
- Received the Dataquest Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010.
3. Azim Premji:
Azim Hashim Premji is the chairman of Wipro Limited. He was born on 24th July, 1945 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
He completed his graduation in B.S.E from Stanford University. In 1966, he took the charge of Wipro at the age of 21.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $15 billion, making him the 55th richest person in the world.
Recognized as one of the Greatest Entrepreneurs by Business Week for being responsible for Wipro emerging as one of the world's fastest growing companies.
Received an honorary doctorate by the Manipal Academy of Higher Education in 2000
Received Lakshya Business Visionary by National Institute of Industrial Engineering in 2006.Mumbai
Received an honorary doctorate from Wesleyan University in Middletown Connecticut in 2009 for his outstanding philanthropic work
Mysore University conferred an honorary doctorate on him in 2015.
Received Padma Bhushan for his outstanding work in trade and commerce, by the Government of India in 2005.
Received Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award by the Government of India in 2011.
- Received the ET Lifetime Achievement Award in 2013.
- In 2015, University of Mysore conferred the honorary doctorate.
2. Dilip Shanghvi:
Dilip Shanghvi is the founder of Sun Pharmaceuticals with a partner, Pradeep Ghosh. He was born on 1st October, 1955 in Amreli, Gujarat. He did his studies from J. J. Ajmera High School and completed Bachelor of Commerce degree from Bhawanipur Education Society College, under University of Calcutta.
He started Sun Pharmaceutical Industries in 1982 at Vapi, with one psychiatry drug and a partner, Pradeep Ghosh.
In 2016, Forbes estimated his net worth to be $17 billion, making him the 44th richest person in the world.
- Received Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2016.
1. Mukesh Ambani:
Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani is the Chairman, Managing Director and the largest shareholder of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL). He holds a 44.7% stake in the company. He was born on 19th April, 1957 in Aden, Colony of Aden (now Yemen).
He attended the Hill Grange High School at Peddar Road. He completed his BE degree in Chemical Engineering from the Institute of Chemical Technology, Matunga. Her later enrolled for an MBA at Stanford University but did not complete the program.
- Member of Board of Governors Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.
- Former chairman of Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited
- Former vice-chairman of Reliance Petroleum
- Chairman of the board of Reliance Petroleum
- Chairman and Chairman of Audit Committee of Reliance Retail Limited.
- Chairman, Reliance Exploration and Production DMCC
- Former Director, Member of Credit Committee and Member of Compensation & Benefits Committee of Bank of America Corporation
- President, Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Received Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2000 by Ernst & Young India.
- Received Global Vision Award at The Awards Dinner in 2010 by Asia Society.
- Received Business Leader of the Year in 2010 by NDTV India
- Received Businessman of the Year in 2010 by Financial Chronicle
- Received School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean's Medal in 2010 by University of Pennsylvania.
- Ranked 5th best performing global CEO in 2010 by Harvard Business Review
- Received Global Leadership Award in 2010 by Business Council for International Understanding
- Conformed Honorary Doctorate (Doctor of Science) in 2010 by M. S. University of Baroda
- Received Millennium Business Leader of the Decade at Indian Affairs India Leadership Conclave Awards 2013 by India Leadership Conclave & Indian Affairs Business Leadership Awards.
- Recognized as Foreign member of U. S. National Academy of Engineering in 2016.
- Received Othmer Gold Medal by Chemical Heritage Foundation in 2016.